Friday, July 20, 2012

America's Chicken Sandwich

I love Chick-fil-A.  Their sandwiches are scrumptous, their employees are polite ("my pleasure"), their bathrooms are clean, and they're closed on Sundays.  They're also about to go through a very rough patch.

This week the president of Chick-fil-A stepped on a cultural landmine.  “I think we are inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say ‘we know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage and I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about.” ~ Dan Cathy, President, Chick-fil-A

Anyone who pays attention to anything knows that this is the hot-button issue in the church and culture-at-large today, I'm sure Dan Cathy was aware of that when he said what he did. 

Now, I don't believe in "Christian businesses", I'm quite sure there won't be Chick-fil-A in heaven (although their food is heavenly), and corporations aren't converted, justified, and glorified.  But, I do believe that the church should impact and influence culture in many ways with business being one of them.  I'm happy to see a company run on Christian principles such as Lord's Day observance and support for biblical marriage in our day.

Unfortunately, many in our nation don't share this appreciation and Chick-fil-A is about to feel the wrath of the world, and I hope it's up to the task.  They're going to be boycotted, picketed, kicked off university campuses, advertised against, banned from sponsorship, and the list goes on.  There will be (it's probably already begun) a full blown culture-war against Chick-fil-A.

I'd like to help ease the fury about to be unleashed and here's a suggestion from Bryan Fischer from American Family Radio.  "Fortunately, there is a way for defenders of the family to show their support in tangible ways: let’s buy Chick-fil-A out of every last one of their chicken sandwiches. You’ll like ‘em (you better believe I will!), they’ll just make more, Dan Cathy will thank you, and what the gay lobby intends for evil will be turned by values-driven Americans into something good. Let’s make Chick-fil-A America’s official chicken chain."

No comments:

Post a Comment