Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Lord Provides

The last couple days were rough in the Kappers' household.  Melanie came down with the stomach-flu early in the morning and was generally out of commission for the whole day.  That left me to play Pastor Ben and Mr. Mom.  I did my usual Tuesday morning reading, made the worship bulletin for this week, blogged, and took care of a few other pastoral responsibilities and then I also changed diapers, made meals, went to the grocery store, put Caleb down for his naps and got him up from his naps.  I was feeling exhausted by noon!

This reminded me of a passage from Genesis, "The Lord God said, 'It is not good for the man to be alone.  I will make a helper suitable for him.'"  (2:18)  The Lord in his infinite wisdom knew that days like yesterday would not be a healthy norm for his creature formed in his very own image.   Man would benefit greatly from sharing responsibilities with a counterpart.  And so the Lord made woman, and praise him for it!

Sometimes it takes a day like yesterday to remind us of the wisdom and generous providence of our heavenly Father.  I have a wife who shares and bears many responsibilities that I simply couldn't handle day-in and day-out on my own.

I'm thankful for the Lord's provision in my life and for Melanie's service to our family...I just wish she hadn't shared her stomach flu with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment